>> Monday, 16 January 2017
My friend Annabel reminded me that we both shared the same criteria in choosing friends and much more - our lifetime partner. Goal-oriented, Results-oriented, someone with personality, can deal with all kinds of people and most of all God-fearing. I know it was not right when we couldn't help laughing at some of her suitors who had the face (and body) but didn't have goals in life. Can you imagine?
First of all, we need to define a goal. Goal is something you want to achieve, work on and get better at. There are long-term and short-term goals. A normal person will have dreams and ambitions but not everyone will have goals who are close to planning on achieving them. The latter is our ideal person.
Before I took my Project Management course at University of Toronto, I've already known the concept of SMART goals. In order for our goal to be smart, it needs to conform to the following criteria:
- Well defined
- Clear to anyone that has a basic knowledge of the project
- Know if the goal is obtainable and how far away completion is
- Find out when you have achieved your goal
- Agreement with all the stakeholders (family, spouse) what the goals should be
- Within the availability of resources, knowledge and time
- Enough time to achieve the goal
- Not too much time, which can affect project performance
The following are the different types of personal goals that you may want to consider:
1. Financial Goal - example: Save 50 dollars a week for the whole year to attain the $2,600 goal
2. Fitness Goal - example: Exercise for 30 minutes everyday, eat vegetable everyday, Run for 5K
3. Travel Goal - example: Japan and Manila Trip by 2019
4. Career Goal - example: Enroll in a class to learn or improve skills; Get certification
5. Spiritual Growth Goal - example: Join a Ministry or bible-study cell group
6. Relationship Goal - example: Level up or Propose marriage to GF or break up with a married partner
I mentioned about friends sharing the same goals or having goal-oriented traits that we ourselves possess. It's important that you share the same goals with those who are close to you to inspire you and help you achieve your goals. I admit that these people are the same ones who poke you and remind you to get going in case your motivation is slowly diminishing. If the friend is not aligned with you, you will slowly lose the interest so choose your company well. They are there either to support you or watch you fail.
Please keep in mind that the outcome of your goal is not because of other people, do not blame it on them. It is not about them, it is you, only you who is accountable and responsible about achieving your goals. Start right, act now and sustain it. Remember, time is passing by and your age is not getting any younger, maybe for some of our goals, the age or physical strength will prevent us from achieving it.
I hope you have a change of mind if you are not yet a GOAL-ORIENTED person. Don't you want to achieve something remarkable this year?
See this blog post too - TRAC and BHAG/BHAP